Thursday, June 9, 2011

Day 28: Changes and Third Wrangler Day

So yesterday morning, one of the girls (Kelli) fell off a new horse she was testing out. She accidentally made a noise with her radio (we wear radios to communicate between all the wranglers) and the horse spooked and she fell off. She ended up getting a really bad concussion and some soft tissue damage in her neck. Because of this, she can't ride for a week and will be taking over the office for me. While I'd never want these to be the circumstances in which I get to ride, I'm kind of happy for the change while it lasts. So, while it was my wrangler day today, I think I'll be riding most of the day every day for at least a week (maybe more).

This morning we had another injury--Clare got kicked right below her knee while bridling horses out in the pen. She hasn't gone to the doctor (and is refusing to?) so we don't really know what the status of the injury is but I think she can move her knee but not her ankle and the whole leg is really swollen. I think she's ridiculous for not going to the doctor but whatever. Anyway, she probably won't be riding for a while as well.

Aside from all these tragedies that will have me in the saddle a lot more than usual, I also rode all day because it's Thursday and my wrangler day. I rode Randy again today and he was very good and very cute. We took out two 1-hour rides (mostly uneventful) and 1 half-day steak ride which is a 4 hour ride. I had never been on a 4-hour ride before today since I don't ride much. Today, though, I finally went on one and got to see the trail. It's a really long ride and I don't think it's my first choice for rides but it was very pretty and I got a steak dinner out of it so I can't complain too much. Until tomorrow when my whole body hurts, that is.

We also got a new shipment of horses while I was out on the ride so there will be new horses to see tomorrow. A couple of horses also left since we're doing the winter-summer herd switcheroo (winter horses leave to go on their vacation and summer horses come to work). So that'll be exciting and maybe I'll get on a new horse soon.

Until next time!

Interesting note: It STORMED last night. It thundered and lightninged and hailed. The hail and rain sounded so loud on our metal roofs and the horses went absolutely wild from being beaten by the hail. It was a ridiculous thing to experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment